Goadsby Knowledge Hub

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulation 1988 (Amended 1993)

Updated: 20 June 2017

The furnishing of rented accommodation with non compliant furniture can result in the potential death of a tenant. Under these regulations it is an offence for a landlord to provide non compliant furniture and to reinforce the seriousness of this, the offence carries a punishment of up to six months imprisonment or a fine, which is currently £5000, or both!

Should there be a fire at a property and it can be proven that non-compliant furniture aggravated the fire, the landlord could be held liable. It is therefore essential that all furnished lets have compliant furniture.

The legislation also makes it an offence for a letting agent to let property containing furniture and furnishings that do not comply with the regulations and accordingly, Goadsby will undertake checks prior to the commencement of the tenancy. This would require any non compliant furniture to be removed and replaced with suitable alternatives.

Landlords can make their own checks to ensure compliance. All compliant furniture should have a label attached stating compliance. If no labels are present landlords should check compliance with the original manufacturer. As a guide landlords can check the date of purchase when new. Whilst furniture sold as new in the UK after 1st January 1988 may comply, this date of sale is no guarantee that it does. Furniture purchased after 1st January 1992 should comply, however Goadsby recommend that all furniture carries a label or the landlord has a written statement from the manufacturer. It is useful to know that furniture manufactured before 1st January 1950 is exempt because the defective materials were not in use prior to this date.

Examples of the type of furniture to be included to comply are: beds, mattresses, padded headboards, pillows, settees, armchairs, seat cushions, cushions, beanbags, pouffes, footstools, children’s chairs, beds, prams, convertible furniture supplied in kit form, outdoor furniture which is suitable for indoor use, loose fittings, permanent and loose covers and any fabrics supplied to provide or replace permanent covers.

Further advice is available through your local Goadsby office.


Residential Lettings

Sub Categories:




Related Articles

EPC Deadline Looms

30 August

Landlords of both residential and commercial investment property should be aware that with effect from April 2018 if their investment property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G, it will be unlawful to let the property.

Read more


22 June

The Housing Act 2004 requires landlords and letting agents to protect deposits on assured shorthold tenancies in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme.

Read more

Residential Energy Performance Certificate

20 June

If you are going to sell or let your home then you will probably require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property first.

Read more
Your session will expire in xx.xx
Continue or Log Out