Senior Negotiator, Kane Hainey, reports a growing increase in enquiries from Tenants who want to have pets in a rental property. Kane adds “Cats and Dogs are considered members of the family and Tenants find it very difficult to find accommodation where the Landlord will accept pets. I have provided some top tips to help a Landlord in making the important decision whether to accept them or not.
1. Evaluate prospective tenants and their pets on an individual basis - get a reference from a previous landlord where possible and judge each case on its merit.
2. In the case of dogs, ask to meet the pet in person as every dog is different.
3. Limit the number of pets allowed according to the size and type of property.
4. Ask for proof that cats and dogs are fully up to date with vaccinations and flea treatments.
5. Ask for a reasonable, additional deposit to cover any damage that may be caused by pets.
6. Add a pet clause to the tenancy agreement, seeking advice from a solicitor if necessary. You may also wish to include a pet policy.
7. Take full details of any pets you have given permission for, including the contact details of someone who can take care of them in case of an emergency.
8. Ensure the property is checked regularly by yourself or a management company to prevent problems arising.
9. When letting your property through a letting agency, make sure you tell them you would consider renting to pet owners and which pets you would accept.
10. Each case should be treated individually.
Demand for pet friendly properties in Wimborne & Blandford is at an all-time high; since the start of 2020 over 25% of applicants registering with Goadsby to rent in the area have indicated that they either have or intend to get a pet.
The Lettings team at Goadsby in Ferndown are delighted to have secured yet another let on a property in Alderholt, on the first viewing!
Goadsby in Poole urgently require pet friendly flats and houses in Poole and surrounding areas due to a large amount of applicants currently on our mailing list waiting for rental accommodation.